Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ok, so here I go!

I have been wanting to publish a blog for a long time, but every time I start one, I lose interest quickly. I tried a gaming blog, a Disney blog, even a Big Brother blog; none of these kept my interest for very long. Then came Glee...

I should start by saying that I have been a fan since the pilot that aired right after the American Idol finale. In fact, my official Gleek number is 1215. I think they must be in the hundred thousands by now! So I guess I can say I was one of the original Gleeks!

Just bear with me, there is a point here. For the first three seasons, I was what you called a casual fan. I wouldn't be really considered the "general audience", but I really was not fully into the fandom either. (As an aside, I had to actually look up whether to use the word bear or bare..apparantly bear is the proper term. Otherwise I would be asking people to get naked with me. :P) I would listen to several podcasts, and lurk on various forums, but I never posted and didn't really interact with the fandom in general. I would watch Glee on Tuesday evenings (Wednesdays in season 1), then rush to the computer to see what everyone else thought of the show.

Thank goodness my boyfriend is a Gleek as well, or I wouldn't have been able to get out my thoughts and feelings...and yes my angst for my favorite characters. About halfway through the third season, I got more involved in the fandom. I would tweet fans and actors, make the odd post on my favorite forums, and got more involved in a podcast or two.

Then came the end of Season 3, which I herein dub Kurt-a-geddon. I have never been upset at a season finale like this. Hell I cried less with the series finale of Buffy! I was depressed for a couple weeks. Yes I am aware this is not healthy, don't judge me! :P

So now we are in a Glee-drought. Last year we at least had the concert tour to keep us entertained. This year, Ryan Murphy actually gave the poor dears an actual vacation. In the next few weeks, info will start to dribble in, then once Comic-Con starts the information will be flooding in. Filming for season 4 will happen shortly after.

Ok, so here is the reason for that novella. One day a couple weeks ago, I read a post that suggested I started reading fan fiction to get me through this shortage of Gleeness. So I took some recommendations of people and started reading....and reading....and reading. I should mention I am currently looking for a job in my field so I have a LOT of time on my hands.

All of a sudden, it felt like the flood gates were open. There were SO many good stories. I realized that I really loved this universe and I wanted to see these characters grow outside of the television show. There were several stories that actually made me cry, laugh, and get angry at the same time!

After several all nighters trying to finish the story I was reading at the time (just had to read a little more), I decided I wanted to write about these wonderful people. Even though writing was my passion in high school and several years later, I haven't written anything in a very long time. The last time I wrote anything of substance was when I was in college two years ago, and that was barely for fun.

So here we are! See, that wasn't too painful to read, right? My plan with this blog, at least for the summer, is to showcase some of those wonderful fan fictions and share my feelings about them. Also, I am planning on making a Glee neighborhood in Sims 3 with all the characters. This will be a long project that I just started. I will share my progress here. You will also see some fun things, like polls and links to my favorite Glee pages, or to my Gleek friends.

Once the show starts again in the fall, who knows? Now that I am elbow deep in the fandom, I am not sure what that will bring. I will definitely be discussing the show, and encourage you to chime in as well. I might even share some news about the show and actors.

Before I close, I must warn you. I am a total Klaine and Hummelberry shipper. (If you want to know more about shipping, go here.) Also, FYI Klaine is Kurt and Blaine and Hummelberry is Kurt and Rachel. So most of my posts will be featuring these characters heavily. I have other favorites of course, but I think I rambled enough so it will be for a post at another time.

Thanks for joining me and I am really excited about this! I am looking for more Glee links so please share!



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new blog. I'm a regular viewer of Glee but I don't really partake of much of the "Gleek" culture, apart from Gleekast. I'd be interested to see your views on Glee fanfiction, since I've read none of that.

    ReplyDelete